Cholesterol is one of this generation's greatest health threats. While the causes for high cholesterol are many, there are simple ways to beat this.
One of them is by eating right.
In the slides to follow you will see that the solution to cholesterol lies right in your kitchen.
1. Monosaturated fats helps lower cholesterol
Avocados, Peanut butter, Hazelnuts, Almonds and Pecans contain heart-healthy MUFA, which helps lower Cholesterol levels. Olive and Peanut oils are also rich in monounsaturates. Note all are high in fat calories.
2. Fatty Fish (Omega-3) helps lower Cholesterol
Fatty fish like Salmon, Tuna, Halibut are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids that has many heart protective properties and also helps improve your blood cholesterol profile.. Just be sure to bake or grill the fish, not fry it.
3. Nuts help lower Cholesterol
Nuts contain plant sterols and monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, which lower the LDL (bad) cholesterol. Nuts (Almonds, Walnuts, Pistachio, Pecans) are rich in heart healthy - fiber, Vitamin E and Selenium.
4. Grains and Oats help lower Cholesterol
Soluble fiber found in oats and oat bran, barley, brown rice, helps lower Cholesterol. Soluble fiber binds to bile acids and cholesterol an helps their excretion. Beans, apples, carrots also contain soluble fiber.
5. Beans and lentils help lower cholesterol
Beans, lentils and peas are good source of soluble fibre which helps lower cholesterol levels. Beans and pulses are high in fibre, high in protein and low in fat. Beans also contain lecithin, a nutrient that lowers cholesterol.
6. Fibre in fruits help lower cholesterol
Apples, Pears, Oranges and Grapefruit contain soluble fibre, which helps lower cholesterol. Include other soluble fibre rich foods such as psyllium, barley, apples, pears, kidney beans.
7. Antioxidants prevents cholesterol damage
Fruits like Blueberries, Cranberries and Grapes, protect LDL (bad) Cholesterol from being damaged. Only damaged Cholesterol forms sticky plaques that may lead to development of Atherosclerosis and increase risk of heart disease.
8. Plant sterols help lower cholesterol
Foods that are fortified with plant sterols and stanols, substances naturally found in many plant foods, unds help block the absorption of cholesterol into the bloodstream. Foods such as orange juice and yogurt drinks are often fortified with sterols and stanols.
9. Walnuts help lower cholesterol
Walnuts contain monounsaturated fats that helps reduce total cholesterol and LDL (bad) cholesterol levels. Omega-3 fats and antioxidants in Walnuts work to reverse the arterial damage caused by saturated fats.
10. Blueberries help lower cholesterol
Blueberries contain antioxidant Pterostilbene that effectively hels lower Cholesterol levels. Blueberries are also rich in soluble fibre and other powerful heart healthy vitamins.
11. Salmon helps lower cholesterol
Salmon or fatty fish is a good source of protein and omega 3 fatty acids - which has been shown to lower LDL cholesterol and raise HDL cholesterol. Omega 3 fatty acids are noted for its triglyceride-lowering power.
12. Garlic helps lower cholesterol
Many studies have demonstrated that eating garlic regularly reduces LDL (bad) cholesterol and raises HDL (good) level as it conains active substance called Allicin.
13. Avocado helps lower cholesterol
Avocados are rich in oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat that helps lower cholesterol.
14. Black beans help lower cholesterol
Black beans are high in dietary fibre, which binds with Cholesterol and helps excrete it from the body thus lowering Colesterol levels.
15. Apples help lower cholesterol
Apple is rich in Pectin (fibre), powerful antioxidants like quercetin, catechin, phloridzin and chlorogenic acid that help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol levels and help increase HDL (good) levels.
16. Green, leafy vegetables help lower cholesterols
According to many studies individuals who 4 or more servings of fruits and vegetables have lower LDL cholesterol levels than those who ate fewer servings. Eat dark green, leafy of veeguies like Spinach, Collard greens and Swiss chard.
17. Raw carrots help lower cholesterol
Raw carrots are rich in a fibre called pectin that helps lower cholesterol. Other fruits that contain pectin, including apples, citrus fruits, strawberries, raspberries, black berries...
18. Sesame seeds helps lower cholesterol
Sesame seeds are rich in phytosterols that help reduce LDL (bad) Cholesterol levels significantly. Other foods that contain phytosterols include celery, lettuce, asparagus, spinach, tomatoes, ginger, squash and strawberries.
19. Pistachios help lower cholesterol
Pistachios significantly lowers LDL (bad) cholesterol levels.
20. Cranberries help lower cholesterol
Antioxidants in Cranberries help slow down LDL cholesterol oxidation, and help raise HDL (good) cholesterol levels.
21. Pomegranate juice and cholesterol damage
Antioxidants in Pomegranate help reduces cholesterol plaque buildup and increases nitric oxide production that reduces arterial plaque.
22. Shitake mushrooms helps lower cholesterol
The active component in shitake mushrooms in eritadenine helps lower cholesterol levels. Shitake mushrooms also contains lentinan, which not only lowers cholesterol, but has anti-cancer properties and helps boost the immune system.
23. Prunes help lower cholesterol
Prunes are a wonderful source of antioxidants and fibre, which is known to reduce LDL cholesterol.
WHAT IS CHOLESTEROL?Cholesterol is a type of fat made in the liver and found in animal foods.
CHOLESTEROL IS NEEDED FOR IMPORTANT BODY FUNCTIONS. Such as...
* Building cell walls
* Protecting nerves
* Making hormones.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF CHOLESTEROL.
* THE GOOD. (HDL or High Density Lipid)
* THE BAD and the UGLY!! (LDL or Low Density Lipid.)
A higher level of HDL is needed to carry LDL from the BLOOD back to the
LIVER to be ELIMINATED from the body.
If there is a higher level of LDL cholesterol in the BLOOD this may:
* Cause high blood pressure!
* Raise your risk of heart attack!
* Raise your risk of stroke!
* Cause the kidneys to fail!
Cholesterol is broken down into LDL which is needed by the body cells. Once
the cells are satisfied the unused LDL remains to become what is known as
The main danger of high blood cholesterol is that fatty plaques may form
which will decrease the diameter of blood vessels. This leads to a
restriction of the flow of blood and oxygen to the tissues of the body.
* If an artery supplying blood to the HEART becomes blocked you may have a
* If an artery supplying blood to the BRAIN becomes blocked you may have a
* If an artery supplying blood to the kidney becomes blocked you may suffer
WHAT CAUSES HIGH BLOOD CHOLESTEROL?
The main causes are:
* Eating too much high saturated fat. i.e. fat found in butter and dairy
products, cakes biscuits and take away foods.
* Being overweight.
* Not exercising.
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO LOWER YOUR CHOLESTEROL?
YOU CAN ......eat more:
* Fruits and vegetables.
* Oily fish (tuna, mackeral and herring).
* Skinless chicken.
* Fibre rich foods, e.g. oats and wholemeal bread.
YOU CAN.... eat less
* Fried take away fast foods.
* High fat dairy products and eggs.
* Saturated fats and oils.
* Biscuits, cakes and pastries.
YOU CAN... USE
* Unsaturated margarine instead of butter.
* Unsaturated oils (olive oil) instead of lard.
* Low fat cooking methods: steaming, grilling and microwaving.
* Make exercise a part of your day. (Walking is good).
* Not smoke
* Drink more water.
THE LINK BETWEEN BLOOD CHOLESTEROL LEVELS AND HEART DISEASE IS CLEAR.
STUDIES HAVE SHOWN THAT IF AN AVERAGE MAN CAN REDUCE HIS BLOOD CHOLESTEROL
BY ONLY 10% HE CAN REDUCE HIS RISK OF HEART ATTACK BY UP TO 50%!!
Start NOW to make the changes because.....
YOUR HEALTH AND WELL BEING ARE IMPORTANT
TO YOU AND TO US!!
Wishing You A Healthy Life.